Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fireside Brewhouse

http://www.firesidebrewhouse.com/

With a name like Fireside Brewhouse what do you expect? I got it, sushi and Jager Bombs! No? Oh here it is, fried chicken and waffles! Wrong again? Shoot. I digress. What you will find is salads, sandwiches, a different twist on burgers, steaks, and pizza. Oh, I forgot to mention, one of the best beer selections on the south side.

Remember when it use to be, "We have both types Budweiser and Miller". Blues Brothers rip off aside, I have a feeling we are going to see more of these brewhouses popping up with the ever increasing popularity of the US Microbrewery market. What you run across is that these places need to have something that sets them apart and makes the distinguishable from the next place down the road. What they have at Fireside, "The Dude".

When you look at the menu online, Fireside shares their beer selection. However, while it is rather extensive, ask your server regardless. I did not see Sun King Cream Ale on the menu, but I sure enjoyed two pints with dinner.

As menus typically do, the food looks amazing. The Three Blind Mice will probably be the next item I try, as the picture show it's uniqueness, but aids in it's mouth watering tendencies. However, my choice for the evening was, The Dude.

I had heard rumors of this different take on burgers and decided, it was what I needed to have. The dude is a half pound burger and slice of Velveeta dipped in batter, and deep fried. Yes, it does sound like a heart attack. For those of you thinking that this is just a restaurant's variation of your school cafeteria favorite, The Breaded Cheeseburger, you are sorely mistaken. The burger is essentially made like the other burgers, then dipped (in a different type of batter) and fried.

Honest opinion on The Dude, eh it was ok. Once the novelty of it wore off, I could focus on the taste more. I was not a fan of grilled taste and the breadedness together. I don't know if it threw me off, or they just didn't bode well together for me. If I had it to do over again, I'd save my calories for something else. Further note, the ladies in our group had burgers, but tend to stick to a leaner diet and they didn't stick well with them.

All that aside, I would like to go again. I know, I just bashed THE THING to set them apart. True, but I'm itching to try The Three Blind Mice. :)

Give the place a chance and make sure to check out Sun King, they are local and pretty good. Don't be afraid to follow me for more reviews. I really hope there are more than 4 followers out there (with one being my wife) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment